Out on the Town

After months of not going out to cultural events we decided this fall it was time to get back to seeing plays, hearing music and enjoying the arts in our fair city. There is so much to enjoy and we use to partake in it often.

download-1.jpgWhat a wonderful idea – except we did not plan very well and it all fell on the same week. A week that was also way to busy with work and home needs. It all started with tickets to the Guthrie Theater to see the Glass Menagerie. This is a wonderful theater with great performances. We headed out Wednesday night – a lovely but cool evening. It gave the appearance of a great night on the town but…

My husband was under a deadline for a writing project. I had thrown my shoulder out and it was in total muscle spasms during the day so could not lift our grandson, little as he maybe. So hubby was trying to write and move or feed Mason whenever it was needed. I was heating my shoulder, heading to a get a Shiatsu massage and  seeking any household drug I had to calm it down. We knew we would return late from the play and Doug would need to continue to write to make his deadline.

With that daytime craziness behind us we got to the theater early had a quiet drink at the bar and saw a well done performance. It was lovely even if we came home to working past midnight and I heating my shoulder once again.

Cultural event number two came on Saturday night. Another play but a very download.jpgdifferent sort. Our neighbors son was in the high school musical Fame. So we headed over to see this production done by the Freshman and Sophomore students. The cast was young and working hard to sing their way through this difficult musical. They were so much fun to see. Young artists finding their wings on stage. A few off-key songs and a live band that was a bit too loud but hey it was a first experience for many of them. I give them three cheers for getting up on stage and doing their very best. We left there and stopped by a neighbor bar and restaurant for a bite to eat. It was quiet and perfect. Cultural event number 2 was wonderful.

Now we hit number three – Sunday night we had tickets to a concert. They were download-2.jpggiven to us by friends who were going to be out of town. Given the venue we should have thought this through but did not. It was live music. It “started at 7:00 p.m.” We thought would be home by 9:30 or 10 to get ready for a busy week ahead.

Did you see the quote marks around started at 7:00? Ok, we were there at 7:00 standing in the cold night air waiting. Around 7:30 we were ID’d for wrist bands for drinking, then pockets cleared and we were frisked for safety and let in the door. Oh’ yeah, the fun of seeing a rock band but I appreciate the safety measures.

We knew by this time it was a standing concert with lots of alcohol. No problem!

A DJ came on at 8:15 p.m. to blast the hall with sound. No one was listening and most were yelling to their friend in the hopes of carrying on a conversation. We were trying to chat but could not hear ourselves talk.

We retreated to the bar for a couple pairs of ear plugs since Doug deals with tinnitus. Neither of us needed to have ringing ears all night. At this point in the evening it was 9:20 p.m. and we had been standing in a very cool room for over 2 hours and no sign the the band we came to see.

We knew we both had work to do at home before bed. We knew that Doug’s ears were beginning to bother him and I hated to admit it but my arthritis was starting to bug me. Standing on cement floors for hours is not the best for my hips or back. The wall I was leaning on was helpful but I still would have loved to hear this concert sitting down.

As 9:30 p.m. loomed in the air we made a choice to leave – we had not seen the band we had come to see and they were not anywhere to be seen. We had to admit to ourselves that we are “old” and that maybe this is not our venue for hearing music anymore. We had to agreed that loud concerts in small rooms are not the best for our aging ears.

We laughed at ourselves on the way home. Completed some work and headed to bed about 11:00 p.m. knowing that 6:00 am would come sooner than we wanted. At this point neither of us could sleep since we were still feeling the loud beat of the bass and that was just a recording. I can’t image the sound level once the live music began.

We were beginning a new week exhausted and grandson would arrive by 8:00 am. This venture into cultural events was a bit too much. We needed to slow things down a bit. Maybe one event a week or every other week. 

So lessons learned:

  • don’t plan three big evening events in a week
  • music concerts need to be at a venue where we can sit down
  • we are better with events when we know when it will start and when it will end. We never did hear when the band made it onto the stage!
  • we shouldn’t do the loud music/rock concerts any more
  • we are old and it is ok to admit that some events are just past us now

Always good to acknowledge our age and our capabilities. There are lots of things we can and do do but there are now a few things that we will leave to the younger generation.

P.S. I am happy to be home writing in the quiet of the evening. My husband is in the basement listening to music at a volume that will not hurt his ears and all is right with the world.

About Joanne Toft

I am a retired Minneapolis Public School teacher. I walk, garden, care for my Grandson and write. Life is good!
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Out on the Town

  1. Lizzy'sWritings says:

    Seems that our bodes let us know when it is tie to slow down – and old is the word for slow! Ha

  2. Trina Haase says:

    This sounds like a busy week! My favorite part of this post was how you shared how happy you are to write. In quiet.

    I hope your shoulder feels better soon!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s