I am a gardener. I am an organic gardener. I garden in the middle of a large city. It is a wonderful thing to do. On a glorious morning like today – sunny, cool fresh air, dew covered grass – I walk out my front door bare foot and pull a few carrots for lunch, pick tomatoes and check on the new planting of beets. In the back garden I water the new plants in the rock garden that I am developing on the old fire pit patio. Life is good.
I have an over abundance of pollinators in my garden. They are everywhere and that is a good thing. Right? Well, I thought so until I realize that one group of my friendly pollinators has taken up residence in the ground. We are now the proud owner of a large bubble bee colony.
I know there are stories to be written about these wonderful guys. I know we need these small critters in our world. I know I want to do the right thing but we have a problem –
- there is no mowing near the colony
- there is only very careful walking in the back yard due to bees – everywhere
- there is no watering and picking cucumbers that are near the nest
- there is no digging up the new potatoes near the nest
- there is the issue that I am mildly allergic to bees – lots of swelling, not fun, hard to breathe
So I made the call. They are coming! I am sorry bees but you need to live out in a more open area not in my back yard.