Sometime you find a MG book that is great but you realize it is great for you. You being an adult who was a kid in 1960’s. That is just what I found in Deborah Wiles book Countdown, the first of the 60’s trilogy.
It was a fun read since it took me back to my 10 year old self. I knew all her references – songs, people, news reports and the fear behind the Cuban Missile crisis. I got it! Here is a great fiction story tucked into a lot of non fiction articles, posters and sayings from the time period.
It might not be a book kids will pick up on their own but what a great teaching/mentor text! The quick run down for use is
- learning to compare fiction/non fiction
- why an author researches
- how an author uses first source materials with fiction
- social studies – learning about the 60’s
- learning about friendships and families
- point of view -what are different characters thinking and feeling
- and there is more
I am super excited to begin reading her new one, Revolution.