Stink Moody had come into his own! Megan McDonald has done a wonderful job of writing short exciting books for our emerging readers. Stink is the younger brother of Judy Moody. He has developed into a great kid with lots of spunk and all the fears that our little ones have – afraid of the dark, sleepovers, monsters under the bed…
Stink the Shark Sleepover is number nine in the series. His family has won an overnight at the local aquarium. They arrive with a few friends for an evening of fun, learning, practical jokes and all the fears that come with sleeping with the sharks.
Mc Donald has a great way of including science vocabulary and bits and pieces of facts about sea life. This book would be a wonderful read for young students as they are studying animal habitats. As a teacher we are always looking for ways to make connections between content areas and Stink helps us do just that.
There are so many ideas here for a teacher.
A few quick activities for students:
- write about their own sleep over fears
- write about a time they slept in an unusual place
- after reading have students make a list of all the sea life the Stink and his friend saw and one fact they learned from the book
- discuss a time they played a joke on someone and what happened
- research and write about sea life that Stink sees at the aquarium including new facts and drawing pictures
- Stink and Riley, a school friend, play Would You Rather during the evening – students love this game and it would be fun for them to create their own after researching sea animals
A perfect addition to the Stink Library in your classroom.